Motivation Monday & PCOS.

found via Pinterest.
In July of 2012, I was diagnosed with PCOS. This came as really no shock to me thanks to my obsession love for Google & WebMD. It was however hard to know that I officially have it & that it will make my journey to become a mommy a bit more difficult.

For those of you who don't know, PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. It is a condition that affects nearly 5 million women in the United States. It is an imbalance of female sex hormones that can lead to menstrual cycle changes, cysts in the ovaries, & difficulty getting pregnant.

The cause of PCOS is unknown, many believe it is due to genetics. However there are many studies that link insulin levels & PCOS. Insulin is a hormone that controls the change of sugars, starches, & other foods into energy for the body to use or store. Women with PCOS have too much insulin in their bodies because their bodies have problems burning it. Excess insulin appears to increase production of androgen, which leads to acne, excessive hair growth, weight gain & again, problems with ovulation.

{If you would like to read more about the symptoms of PCOS, Click here.}

The reason for today's Motivation Monday picture is due to the diet changes that women with PCOS must take to be able to control their insulin levels, in hopes of being able to ovulate normally. To do this Women with PCOS must limit processed foods & foods with added sugars. They must also add more whole-grain products, fruits, vegetables & lean meats to their diet. Doing this helps to lower their blood glucose levels, improves their body's use of insulin & normalize the hormone levels in their body. Studies show that even a 10 percent loss in body weight can restore your menstrual cycles & even make you cycle on a more regular basis.
{For more information on how to treat PCOS, Click here.}

So that is where I am at. 10 percent loss for me would be 29 pounds. But I am not going to stop there. I want to be a healthier me, not just a "getting by" me.

For now, I'm going to eat less sugar, since I know, I am already sweet enough! :)
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

3 comments:

  1. You can do it! I believe in you! :) I'd love to be with you on this journey. I was never officially diagnosed with PCOS, and I currently do not have it, but it has been theorized that I had it in the past. It sounds like having children is something you wish to do, so I really hot your PCOS fades quickly. I have experience trying to conceive, and there are so many factors that you wouldn't think play a part in it... :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. We want to start trying after we get married next fall. Which is another reason why I'm trying to drop as much weight as possible. Though I was just diagnosed, I've pretty much had it since I was a teenager. I've never had a normal cycle. Then again, I was a chubby kid too. So I am hoping that losing some weight will help me achieve my goal of becoming a mommy.

      Delete
  2. I wish you the best of luck. Losing weight definitely helps with that. :) As far as having a normal cycle, mine really settled into a more regular schedule at about 245 pounds (I started at 285). In 2008, I went 9 months without having my period, or being pregnant. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips