Trying something new... Spaghetti Squash.

While shopping for some healthy, more nutritious foods to fill my house with. I decided I would pick up a Spaghetti Squash. I've never had Spaghetti Squash, but I've seen millions {well maybe not millions, but a lot} of recipes being posted on Pinterest. I read that this is a perfect substitute for pasta. Good for you & low carbs, awesome! I thought.

So I went through the produce section, looking for this foreign squash. I, had always assumed, that Spaghetti Squash was a nickname for Butternut Squash. So that is indeed what I picked up to put into the cart. Ha, luckily my Mister was with me to tell me that the two squashes are not the same, otherwise dinner last night would have been rather funky.

So, after Googling for a while on how to cook the Squash. I came to that conclusion that Google is awesome, except when there are a million & one ways to do this & no one can really agree on which way is best. So, I went with the first article I found.

I cut the squash in half before cooking it. This, would have been a breeze if my knives weren't so crappy. lol. One third of the way through & my knife decided it was going to stay right where it was at. Fortunately, I am more stubborn than my knife & I wiggled it out & forced it to finish it's job. Hooray! The hard part is over. I thought.

I scooped the seeds out & thought for a millisecond about cleaning them to bake later. But as soon as the sticky stringy goop was between my fingers, I decided against it. There weren't that many anyway, so I didn't feel too bad about throwing them out.

I placed the squash cut side up on a baking sheet. I brushed on a bit of extra virgin olive oil & sprinkled it with a little garlic powder & into the 375° oven for 40 minutes.


40 minutes later I pulled it out of the oven & took a fork to it to see if the strands pull out easily. Which they did. Being that this was my first experience with Spaghetti Squash, I had no real comparison as to how it's supposed to look, taste, or feel.

I put a couple cups of Kirkland Marinara {the BEST Marinara I have ever had} into a sauce pan to heat. I took the fork to the squash, pulling out all the spaghetti looking strands. Something wasn't quite right though. It seemed to crunchy. So I threw them into a frying pan to cook a little longer. 5 minutes later, they were a little softer, but not by much. So that is when I figured it's just meant to be crunchy.


I served it with the marinara, fresh parsley & parmesan cheese. It was good, it had a great taste... however, I will be cooking it a little bit longer next time in hopes of it softening a bit more.

Have you ever had Spaghetti Squash? How did you make it?

3 comments:

  1. lol... I see that all your Social Sunday posts have a ton of replies, but alas, this has none. Never fear, your newfound veggie-obsessed friend is here to help!! ;) I love spaghetti squash! I agree, the crunchiness of it can be unpleasant, so I always make sure to cook it longer than I originally think I should.

    I've cooked it three ways:

    - Cut in half lengthwise, put some water in the bottom and cover with microwaveable plastic wrap. Microwave until tender.

    - The way you did it

    - Cut in half lengthwise, place cut side down in a baking dish with about 0.5 inch to an inch of water. Bake in oven.

    By far, my favorite way is the microwave. It cooks so much faster. Look for the squash rind to start to change color and almost look more translucent, if that makes sense. Also, I squeeze it to see if the outside is flexible. I learned this method from one of my older friends who actually has a farm and grows spaghetti squash in the garden. I'm scared to cook it whole with holes punched in it because I've heard stories about them exploding. If I AM going to cook it in the oven, the cut side down in water works better for me.

    I typically don't cook spaghetti squash as a spaghetti noodle replacement, but there are loads of recipes out there for a variety of spaghetti squash dishes!

    I toast the seeds. The goopiness is a little overwhelming, but I dump the whole glommy mess in a bowl of water to soak for an hour or two, and that seems to help rinse off the squash pulp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Grandmother told me to make it in the Microwave, the same way you said. Now I feel like running to the store to buy one. It was really good as spaghetti. But I've seen tons of recipes with a million & one other ways to cook it. lol.

      I never thought to soak the seeds! Thank you so much for that tip. I'll have to try that next time, as I know the Mister loves Pumpkin seeds. :)

      Delete
    2. No problem! Let me know how it works. :) I try to resist buying too much fresh produce in the store because I participate in a produce co-op that gives me fruits and veggies, but I don't get to pick. I was out of town the last time they had spaghetti squash! Darn.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips