Six months...

My cousin, my only cousin so far, turned six months old today. I don't think I can really wrap my head around that. You see, I flew out to California, where my family lives, to see my family before my baby cousin Jon Michael was born. I was there the morning he came into this world & I held him, only hours old. How, in the world, is that little boy six months old? 

Horrible picture, yuck! But it's the only one I have holding little Jon Michel. The day he was born.
I flew back to Pennsylvania shortly after this little guys day of birth. Which means, I have been home from my family in California for almost six months now. It's amazing how six months can feel so short & yet so long at the same time. On one hand, I can't believe that six months have passed to make Jon Michael a half of a year old... on the other hand, it feels like forever since I saw my family.

My 24th Birthday spent in California, 2012.

It really sucks living 3,000 miles away from the place where not only your family lives, but where you grew up your entire life. Winter enhances the homesick blues as winters in California are a completely different ballpark than the winters we have here in Pennsylvania. Even the sun feels different here. It's muted.

Pool side at my Dad's apartment complex. Summer 2012.
Plane tickets need to be cheaper. It's not fair that one family member or another, has to shovel out their savings for me to come visit each time. This year, I don't believe I will get to visit, due to finances & the planning of my wedding in 2014. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my family & wish that there was some way I could have them & Mr. B in my life simultaneously, have my cake & eat it too. The reality is, we can not afford to move to California, nor could we afford to live in California even if we did move. The cost of living is much too high. So we'll just continue to cross our fingers & play the lotto... something good has to happen right? Haha.

Double Rainbow outside of my Dad's apartment, Summer 2012.
It's just part of growing up I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! It sucks you have been so long without seeing your family. I live only 9 hours drive away from mine, but I still only see them every 6 months or so, for no more than 2-3 days at a time. You're right, it is part of growing up, and it sucks. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post + pictures! Great blog you have here. I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I moved to Honolulu in Fall 2011 from West Virginia. Winter is poignant for me. On the one hand all the sun shines and blue skies is beautiful, but I still miss the snow. The missing is finally starting to get easier this year. Good luck! I found you via a blog hop. I'm your newest follower. Feel free to check out my blog and follow back! http://penpaperpad.com.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips