St. Ives Coconut Milk & Orchid Extract {Health Review}

Stock Photo
This winter has been really tragic to my skin. I have never felt my skin so dry in my life. I, the girl who never buys lotion, decided to give in & reluctantly pick up a bottle. Why do I have such a strong dislike for lotion? That's an easy answer! Usually, lotion is sticky, greasy & smelly, despite the clever fragrance names they attach to the bottle. I'm the girl who usually leaves off the sunblock, burns to lobster crisp in 10 minutes & then sit miserable & coated in Aloe Vera, all because I didn't want to wear the sunblock in the first place. I know, it doesn't make any sense. But, what can you do about it.

So while doing a small shopping trip at Walmart, I decide that I am going to just have to pick up a bottle of lotion because my skin was starting to get painfully cracked. I looked at the aisle full of choices & smelled about ten bottles before deciding on St. Ives 'Naturally Indulgent' Coconut Milk & Orchid Extract body lotion.

Upon arriving home, I gave this new lotion a try. Before opening it, I read the back & was pleasantly surprised to read that it wasn't only not tested on animals, but it contained no animal ingredients. Who would have thought, the first lotion I decide to try & it's Vegan. Pretty nifty. 

It is also formulated without Parabens & Phthalates, okay, that's a good thing, right? Honestly, I had no idea until I Googled what those non-pronounceable words were. First off, I discovered that Parabens are chemicals used to preserve certain products. It's usually found in anything from shampoos, to shave gels & even toothpaste. Alright, so what's wrong with it? Here is the scary part folks, studies have linked Parabens with the big 'C' itself, Cancer. Okay, so not having Parabens, a chemical, that has been linked to cancer, soaking into our skin. Yes, I say that is a good thing!

So what about Phthalates? Phthalates are chemicals used to make plastics like PVC... okay, before we go further, eww! Okay, moving on... Phthalates are found in food packaging, hoses, raincoats, shower curtains, vinyl flooring, wall coverings, lubricants, adhesives, detergents, nail polish, hair spray & shampoos. Phthalates have been found to disrupt the endocrine system. Okay, so what is the endocrine system? Our endocrine system is the system of glands that secrete certain types of hormones into the blood stream. It is basically a information signal system like the nervous system. So we can all agree that messing with any type of informational system in your body is a bad thing! Not only do Phthalates disrupt your endocrine system, but they can reduce sperm count, cause testicular atrophy, & have been linked, once again with the big 'C', Cancer of the liver.

Alright, so now that we know what Parabens & Phthalates are & what they can do to our bodies, we can safely say that by St. Ives formulating their lotion without the two, is a very good thing! I now know that when ever I buy a product, I am going to check for the two P's or lack thereof. Now that I am in the know, & you should too! Knowledge is power after all! ;)

Okay, but how did I like the lotion? I know, I said an awful lot about what is not in the lotion & not nearly enough talking about the lotion itself. I found the lotion rather thick, but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It's really creamy without feeling sticky & it soaks into your skin fairly quickly without leaving your hands greasy. This was a huge plus for me, as I can not stand greasy hands!

The smell of it was strong, quite powerful, but amazing none the less. If you are a coconut fan, like myself, you would rather enjoy the thick sweet aroma of the coconuts. The scent of Orchid is light, just enough to soften the blow of the coconut. The scent lingers on your skin for quite a few hours, which I love because I think it smells amazing.

My skin has never felt softer. The lotion does it's job in that category. The painful cracks that once covered my hands & elbows vanished after one use. I use the lotion once or twice a day, depending on how much I need it, & also on how much I just want to smell the lotion again. It's that good!

To sum up, the St. Ives 'Naturally Indulgent' Coconut Milk & Orchid Extract body lotion lives up to it's name & does so without animal ingredients, animal testing, or cancer causing chemicals.

Who has two thumbs & loves this product, this girl! 

6 comments:

  1. Wow your blog and your work is wonderful, congratulations and kisses from Spain. follow me and I will follow back?

    http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love st.ives products:) Following you from the friends to followers blog hop!

    xoxo_Laila

    Townhouse Palette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I now know not to get this scent because I am not a huge coconut fan. ;) I wouldn't mind trying out one of the other scents, though. I like that it doesn't contain animal products and your thorough investigation of parabens & phthalates. Remind me to tell you sometime what my parents' occupation is (they're the same thing).

    Also, I <3 that you cited your sources. You just stole the heart of this librarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now you have to email me & tell me what your parental's do for a living. :)

      And, of course I cited my sources... I was taught the right way. Be careful with that heart of yours, it's taken... I can't steal it you silly girl. haha. :)

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips