Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Marinara {Recipe}

Have you ever thought something sounded amazing, but could not find a recipe for it no matter how long you looked. It just won't appear! You find things similar, but not quite what you are really wanting. I went through this recently!

Mr. B really wanted stuffed peppers, but we are trying to stay away from red meat & that is usually how I make them. So, I thought about what I had in my kitchen. Bell peppers, brown rice, marinara sauce... That's when it hit me! Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Marinara! So, I ran to Google & found, nothing. Hmm, okay. So I convince myself into believing that it's probably because the flavors don't mingle. I decide to make something else for dinner & save the bell peppers for another day.

However, the recipe that I had been forming inside my mind was not leaving me alone. The flavors in my mind were perfect, so I was just going to have to make it & find out. I mean, isn't that how new recipes are created? Trial & error.

So, ladies & gents, I give you... Vegetarian Stuffed Pepper Marinara! Could easily be made vegan by leaving out the cheese. :) It's really easy to change up & make your own.


What you'll need:
-Bell Peppers (I used four red bell peppers, use as many as you might need for your family)
-Onion (1 used a white onion, about 1/4 cup's worth)
-Garlic (We love garlic in our house, so I used five cloves, use less or none, depending on taste)
-Cherry Tomatoes (These were all I had, I liked that they added a little more flavor)
-Mushrooms (I used about 8 or 9 mushrooms)
-Parmesan Cheese (Leave out if you wish to make it vegan!)
-Olive Oil (To saute the onion & garlic in)
-Marinara (Just use your favorite marinara or spaghetti sauce. Kirkland brand is my favorite!)
-Mozzarella Cheese (Not pictured, it was a last minute add. I chopped up a few skim milk string cheese sticks. lol)
-Brown Rice (We use organic brown rice from Costco. I made about a cup & a half cooked.)

Cook your brown rice according to package directions. I use a rice cooker, I adore my rice cooker. I love that it takes the guess work out of it. Though, I have noticed that I have to start the brown rice a lot earlier than it's white counterpart. My rice cooker takes nearly two hours to cook two and a half cups of brown rice. While your rice is cooking chop your vegetables. As you can see in the picture, I have bell peppers whole with the tops cut off & strips. The strips are actually cut from the tops. :)

Pour a little olive oil into the pan you are going to be cooking your veggies in.


Toss in your garlic & onions. Just to sweat them a bit, not too dark. We don't want them burning.


Once your onions & garlic start to sweat a bit, add in your chopped bell pepper tops.


Once your bell pepper tops cook down a bit, add in your mushrooms & tomato.


Once your veggies are cooked, add in your brown rice, parmesan cheese & mozzarella (or String Cheese, lol)


Then mix in your marinara or spaghetti sauce. I added about half a jar.

Place your peppers in an aluminum lined (or greased) baking dish & fill with rice mixture. Top with a spoonful more of marinara sauce & a sprinkle of parmesan. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 40-60 minutes, until desired doneness.

Let cool, serve & enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. My daughter is vegetarian. I am always looking for new recipes for her to try. This one looks great!
    Angie G.
    http://mycraftycollections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo good. YUM. I just posted my haul from Bountiful Baskets this week, and I got some LOVELY red bell peppers and asked for a stuffed bell pepper recipe. It looks like you answered my call. ;) We would probably add just a little meat, though. M's a meat fiend. Oooh, maybe I'll make it tonight...

    Your food pictures are much prettier than mine. Are you using a real digital camera(as opposed to your cell phone camera)? I could also pay more attention to my angles, like getting on the same level as things. Also, I'm sometimes too lazy to clean the clutter off the counters, so my pics are contorted to avoid getting the clutter in the frame while still capturing the 984543 ingredients I like to put in things. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now you will have to make it! I'm sure it would be amazing with ground beef or something like it. Mr. B & I found that we didn't really miss it since it had so much flavor already. Let me know how you like it!

      I take like fifty pictures before finding one I actually like. And, yes, I take my photos with my Canon Rebel DSLR. :) I also have two really awesome editing programs that help me with lighting, sharpness & tint. Haha.

      Delete
    2. I went to the store and bought rice especially for this recipe! I think I'd actually like it with some black beans for protein. And I was SO tempted to use the rest of the mushrooms yesterday but saving them up for this recipe tomorrow. ;)

      Oooh, a DSLR. No wonder. :) M has a really nice camera I gave her two Christmases ago. I should yoink it for my blog post pics.

      Delete
  3. yum, need to make this asap!!!

    Btw, I have a giveaway going on right now, make sure you enter!
    Kate
    http://www.nytjerseygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips