Delicious pizza at home... *HINT* It's not delivery.


It's not delivery & it's not Digiorno either! It's a delicious homemade pizza that you could feel good about eating. Yes, I dared to say you can actually feel 'good' about eating pizza. True, it is still pizza with the traditional bread dough & olive oil, however, you know exactly what you are eating when you make it at home! Not to mention, it's fairly cost effective! 

I don't know about you, but Mr. B is a pizza snob. I say this because he has a strong dislike for the 'chain' pizza places & frowns upon the $5 large pizza deals you can find at Domino's or Pizza Hut. Which means that whenever we are in the mood for pizza, we are usually out of $30. Ouch! That can & has hurt our budgeting in the past. For $30 we usually end up with two meals, dinner that night & cold pizza for breakfast in the morning. But in today's economy we find it really important to get the most bang for our buck, or in other words, as many meals as possible for our dollar.

So when a tight budgeted pizza snob is in the mood for a slice, what other choice do we have?

Here is where our homemade pizza enters the equation. The cost of ingredients for your pizza all depend on your taste buds. The possibilities are endless when you make your own. Let's start with the basics, first the dough.

A good pizza relies on a good dough. Without a proper base, no amount of toppings will make it better. Many people are intimidated by pizza dough, they feel they must be a pro tosser or executive chef to even try. Don't let it intimidate you, there are tons of different recipes & techniques out there & believe me, you will find a style that is right for not only your skill, but your tastes as well.

Here is a style of dough I really enjoy. Remember you can also tweak it for your taste. Experiment with it & most of all have fun with it!


Here is what you need for a fairly basic pizza dough:

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 teaspoon Active Dry Yeast. (MySpiceSage has the freshest yeast I have ever experienced. It activates & foams almost immediately. I really suggest looking into it. 4oz is only $5!)
  • 1 cup warm water. (NOT HOT! Hot water will kill your yeast.)
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
  • 3 cups bread flour.
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil.
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
  • 1 tablespoon Pure Garlic Powder. (We love garlic, if you aren't a huge fan you can half it or remove it entirely)
Supplies:
  • Mixing Bowl.
  • Wire Whisk.
  • Wooden Spoon.
  • Measuring Cups/Spoons.
  • A clean space to knead dough.
Now that you know what you need, I'll tell you how easy it is to get started...
  1. Add 1 cup of warm water to a large mixing bowl. Add 2 1/4 teaspoons of Active Dry Yeast, 1/2 tablespoon of sugar, & 1/2 cup flour to warm water. Stir with wire whisk until combined. Let sit for twenty minutes to bubble/foam. This is the yeast getting active. Getting it's groove on if you will. ;)
  2. After the yeast is active, add 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, & 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix with a wooden spoon until dough forms. It will be slightly sticky.
  3. Add 1/2 cup flour to clean surface, it's time to knead! Knead dough for 10 minutes. The extra flour on the counter should start to make the dough less sticky. If it is still sticky as you knead, add a bit more. You don't want it really sticky, nor do you want it too dry. Just in between is perfect. Form dough into ball by rolling the dough underneath itself & pinching slightly.
  4. In a large clean bowl, add a drizzle of olive oil. Set dough into bowl. Drizzle olive oil over the top & cover with wax paper loosely.
  5. Next you want to set the dough somewhere warm for two hours while it rises. My favorite way to do this is by placing a microwavable coffee mug filled with water into the microwave. Nuke for 1 minute. Move mug to the side of the microwave & place bowl inside. Close the microwave door & wait two hours. This creates a nice warm spot for the dough to rise & it also keeps it safe & covered. (I have cats & everything on the counter seems to become fair game. lol.)
  6. After two hours, take bowl out of the microwave. At this point the dough should have grown at least double. Press, or punch, down the dough & separate it in half. Roll each half of the dough into a ball & place into a large Ziploc bag.
  7. Refrigerate overnight. At the very least a few hours. I find it's great to make this the night before you want to make pizza. Or even early in the morning the day of. Waiting really is worth it because it adds something to the dough, but if you are in a hurry & very impatient I am sure you could use it right away. But, you should try to wait... just sayin'.
  8. Take the dough out of the refrigerator at least 2 hours before making your pizza. Just long enough to bring the dough to room temperature.
Now that we have a great base going, let's move on to the sauce! This is so easy, you will wonder why you ever bought jarred pizza sauce in the first place!


Again, this is so easy to make, & it's even easier to adjust to your liking! Just add more or less of an ingredient to make it your own!

What you'll need:

Ingredients: 

  • 2 tablespoons Olive Oil.
  • 1 1/2 cups Water.
  • 1/2 cup Tomato Powder. (I had never heard of Tomato Powder before MySpiceSage. Now, I don't think I could live without it. Give it a try! 4oz is $5! It has a wonderful deep tomato flavor. I love it!)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder.
  • 1 teaspoon Sugar.
  • 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning.
  • Salt & Pepper to taste.
Supplies:
  • Small mixing bowl.
  • Measuring Cup/Spoons.
  • Wire Whisk.
  • Small saucepan.
  • Glass jar for storage.
  1. Combine all your dry ingredients. 
  2. Add water & olive oil to small saucepan, bringing it to a boil.
  3. Once water starts to boil reduce heat to low & slowly whisk in the dry ingredients.
  4. Adjust ingredients to taste. For a thinner sauce add water one tablespoon at a time until desired thickness.
  5. Let simmer for a few minutes.
  6. Let cool & pour into a glass jar for storage. It will stain plastic containers. It should make about 12oz of sauce.

    Note* I usually make my sauce the same day I make the dough, the sauce seems to taste even better after it has had a chance to mingle overnight. 
Okay, so now we have our dough & we have our sauce... time to put together our delicious homemade pizza!


Ingredient possibilities are endless! Just one of many reasons I prefer to make my own pizza at home. Here are a few of the favorites in our house:

  • Pepperoni.
  • Black Olive.
  • Red Bell Pepper.
  • Mushrooms. (I strongly suggest sauteing the mushrooms first! I learned the hard way. Mushrooms are mostly water & that water will release onto your pizza & make it soggy. Yuck!)
  • Jalapeno. 
  • Fresh Mozzarella.
  • Parmesan Romano Cheese.
Preheat your oven between 450 & 500 degrees. I'm still finding my niche on what is the perfect temperature. 

Roll out your room temperature dough to desired shape. Mine aren't perfect & yours don't have to be either! Whether your pizza is round, square or somewhere in between, I assure you it will still taste great!

Spread on your homemade pizza sauce, as little or as much as you please! Just leave a bit of room around the edges. Top with your favorite cheese & toppings. Bake until the crust is golden brown & the cheese is bubbly. 

Let cool & enjoy! :)

I would like to thank the awesome people at MySpiceSage for allowing me to sample their spices. I find the quality of the products incredible & I can honestly say that I will be buying some more Tomato Powder soon! I absolutely love the idea of having something on hand that I can whip up quickly without it taking up tons of space in my cupboards. Plus the flavors are amazing!

Stay tuned for an opportunity to win the spices needed to make this recipe & more coming up on Friday!

*The amazing people at MySpiceAge supplied samples of their product in return for my expressed interest in their company. I was in no way paid for my opinions. As always, the opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own and were in no way influenced by the company providing the product. 

4 comments:

  1. That does look good! I have to say my favorite is cheese (of course!) and then olives and canned mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav is a white pizza with spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love cheese-less pizza w/ mushrooms, peppers, onions, spinach, kale, tomatoes, etc.! :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips