My take on Pasta e Fagioli. {Recipe}


Pasta e Fagioli. Sounds so wonderful in Italian doesn't it? Pasta & Bean soup on the other hand, not so good. However, no matter what you call this soup, one thing doesn't change. It sure is delicious! There are so many variations of this soup floating around cyberspace. That's what is so fantastic about Pasta e Fagioli, as long as you have Pasta & Beans in your soup, you are on the right track. lol.

From doing a bit of research I found out that Pasta e Fagioli was originally a peasant dish & was traditionally meatless. Admittedly, mine is not meatless. Though, I am sure if you wanted you could omit the meat & use vegetable broth instead of beef.

This is my first shot at making this dish & I already have mentally made a few changes for next time. Mr. B & I both agree that the next batch will include fresh chopped garlic & peeled/petite diced potatoes. Other than that, we loved it & we hope you do too! 

So let's get this show on the road, shall we?



Here is what you will need.

Ingredients:
  • Celery, 3 stalks, diced.
  • Baby Carrots, about a handful, sliced. (You can use full size carrots if you wish.)
  • Red Onion, half, chopped. (Any onion will do, we just prefer red onions.)
  • Red Bell Pepper, 1 small, chopped.
  • Lean Ground Beef, 1 pound.
  • Light Red Kidney Beans, 1 15.5 oz can, undrained.
  • Great Northern Beans, 1 15.5 oz can, undrained.
  • Diced Tomatoes in Juice, 1 can or 3 cups, undrained. (I buy a huge can at Costco, so I just used 3 cups.)
  • 1 tablespoon of Organic Better Than Bouillon Low Sodium Base. 
  • 3 cups water. (You can omit the Better Than Bouillon & water & use Beef Broth instead.)
  • 8 oz of small pasta, I used Mini Farfalle, cooked.
  • Garlic Powder, 1 tablespoon. (Add more or less depending on taste.)
  • Tomato Powder, 2 tablespoons.
  • Italian Seasoning, 2 tablespoons.
  • Salt & Pepper to taste.

So now that we know all the ingredients, let's get down to putting them all together. It's super easy peasy, are you ready?

  1. Brown 1 pound of lean ground beef. You may drain off the grease if you want. I use the very lean ground beef from Costco, so there really wasn't much to drain off. So I usually just leave the little bit there is.
  2. Add the carrots, celery, onion & bell pepper. Saute for 10 minutes or until onions become translucent.
  3. Next stir in your spices, diced tomatoes, beans, water & beef base. 
  4. Let simmer one hour, stirring occasionally.
  5. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, bring a medium saucepan of water to boil. Once boiling add the 8oz of pasta. Cook until tender & drain.
  6. Mix into your soup, cook for another ten minutes.
  7. Stir & serve with garnish of your choice. We chose a little fresh Parmesan Romano cheese.
  8. Let cool, as it will be super hot! Enjoy!

*The amazing people at MySpiceSage supplied samples of their product in return for my expressed interest in their company. I was in no way paid for my opinions. As always, the opinions expressed in this post are 100% my own and were in no way influenced by the company providing the product.

1 comment:

  1. Found you through North Eastern Bloggers...looks like great recipe. You must close to me, I am in South Jersey about 15 mins outside Philly :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips