Happy (Re) Birthday + A new direction.

Two years ago lead to this... 

Two years ago, in June, I started "blogging". I just sat down & started typing whatever random things were running around in my head at the time. No real direction, no rhyme, nor reason, just typing. I did so because I loved the community I discovered when reading my favorite blogs. I loved "meeting" new people & reading about their lives. Now I knew even from the very beginning that my life was no where near as exciting nor eventful as some of my favorite reads, but I thoroughly enjoyed writing anyway. 

Before I knew it I had readers, a few people that had clicked follow, & even left a couple comments.  I told myself when I started that even if I was the only one reading my blogs, that would be good enough for me. I enjoyed talking about the good & even the bad in my life. I appreciated being able to write about the days which were great & I even enjoyed sharing a few rants or two. Most of all I liked being able to look back & see a collection of everyday memories.

My blog had been floating around the internet aimlessly for two years. I never gave it a label, as I never really thought about what or why I was blogging. I just knew that I was. In a way it seemed like my life, it was in a sort of limbo. Stuck between where I never want to return & where I want to be. I kept blogging, as I wanted to keep my streak up. Like the number of blogs meant more than the content of them. It became a chore & like many blogs I have read in the past, I simply didn't want to write one more meaningless blog. So, I stopped.

In February I started working on myself. I talked about it on my blog in May. I joined MyFitnessPal, I started exercising & in May I even joined a 100 mile challenge hosted by SlapDashMom. I started to take things, like my health, seriously. I never want to be that close to 300lbs again. I never want to give up on myself again. So, just like that, I started on a journey.

A journey to lose 100lbs... 

171 days ago I decided that I was done making excuses. I started watching everything I was eating. I became more aware of not only what I was eating, but how I was eating. I started excising. Simple stuff at first, a walk with Odin to the park. Each time our walk got longer & each time I got a little bit faster. I started stationary cycling. I couldn't do more than 15 minutes my first few times, but now I have gone as long as an 1 hour & 45 minutes for a total of 23 miles. Just last week I started a Couch to 5k program. Yes, that's right I am attempting to jog for the very first time in my life. I push myself a little further each time & I don't let myself feel bad if I have to stop. I am still doing laps around the person I used to be.

Since starting my journey, I have lost 56lbs. In 171 days I have made it beyond half way to my original goal. And, I feel awesome!


Now, I feel like I have a purpose. I pushed myself out of that limbo & I am bringing my blog along with me. I feel like there needs to be more real people out there sharing their success stories even if they have not made it all the way yet. Because believe me when I say, nothing is more discouraging than watching a skinny person tell you how you can lose weight. I find no inspiration in that.

Seeing someone with a six pack on a motivational poster makes me want to eat cake, not run a mile.  What inspires me is seeing people just like me working hard & getting healthy results. Show me that couch potato who has binge watched nearly every television show Netflix has to offer. Show me that girl, because that girl is me! I want to see their dedication, their changes, their results. I want to see Joe Schmo running at 300lbs, that is true inspiration.

Most of all I want to see people getting healthy because they love themselves. Not because they hate their bodies. I want to see people losing the weight & gaining a healthy state of mind. And if you are like me, I want to be that person for you. I want to inspire you to do it. And this will sound like the biggest cliche ever, but if I can do it... you can do it. And I believe in that with all of my heart.

I am not a success story, but I am a work in progress story & pretty darn proud of it.

So to close this really long blog, which I am sure no one will read, lol. (TLDR; right?) I am kicking off August, my birth month, as a rebirth celebration for not only myself, but for my blog as well. So the changes you see are here to stay. I am no longer a blogger without a purpose. I am no longer a bird without wings. I am heading somewhere & I sure hope you'll join me for the ride. I have lots of stuff in the works from recipes, to my photo progress, & even a review or two. I do hope to see you around!

And to my little piece of the internet: Happy Birthday little blog, may the best be yet to come.

6 comments:

  1. I love this! So proud of you! And so blessed to get to witness your journey! Thank you for beleing in yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm a work in progress, but I am happy to be further along than I had ever thought or even hoped in such a short amount of time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back and working in a really healthy direction. I relate the same way - seeing someone who is all fit and lean and has energy to spare telling me how to get healthy means nothing except maybe making me want all the chocolate. Real lives, real struggles, real truths, real victories - those are the things that matter to me. And as a side note, I don't know if you still read my blog or not, but if you do, I have been dedicating a bit more of my posts to this topic as well - the whole getting healthy on the inside and the out....that's just if you're interested. You can find it under body stories or body stuff.
    It's really great to see you back to blogging and feeling purposeful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to come over & take a look at your blog Becky! I was once up to date with so many awesome bloggers, but it seems I have lost touch ever since Google reader left us. For that I am sorry! I am glad to hear I am not the only one who feels more discouraged by those who look like they've never been fat a day in their lives. I'm sure their tips are great advice & they mean well, but I just have a hard time feeling like they can really relate to the fat chick I am. Lol. I will be heading over to your blog! Thank you so much for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog! Type a few words in the box please... I would love to hear from you! Have a fantastic day! ♥

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips